Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Wall Art in the Family Room

These two little prints started a wall art project today that took most of  the afternoon.


I printed them long ago and have even had them framed for quite some time now but couldn't decide where to hang them.  I wanted them to be some place easily accessible to all family members because my goal was for us to actually catch each other doing fabulous things and then pat each other on the back a bit.  Well, yesterday I received a nice e-mail from our boy's teacher about his improvement in reading.  This was a sweet victory for us as growing him into an independent reader has taken a great amount of  effort.  After reading the e-mail I wanted to show how proud we were of him and desired to make a great big deal out of it.  I remembered these prints and decided today was the day to dedicate one to our boy and one to our girl.  Today was the day to find a place of honor to showcase their great achievements.  This set into motion the wall transformation! 


Behold, the fairly blank wall in our family room.  It already had one of my favorite pieces of art I snagged at a garage sale for $5.00.  The candy in old apothecary jars was just too nifty.  The other piece was a drawing of "the little engine that could".  In college my favorite professor read us this book and shared that many times as an adult she had given the book to other adult ladies when they were experiencing a particular trial.  I just thought that was so encouraging so when I saw this piece, also at a garage sale, I bought it too!


I knew I wanted to add the "You are fabulous" prints but I needed some other items to fill in the spaces.  I dug around in the garage, under beds and in closets to find the various frames, photos and art that did the trick.  I didn't buy anything just moved some old stuff around.  I even added a picture of my mother that brings back such fond memories. : )


There it is.  Our new wall art.  If you look to the right you will see that I kinda have a thing for collage arrangements.  Something about the randomness mixed with a plan that speaks to me.  I think that's how my mind works.  I randomly play out my plan. 



I hung the "fabulous" prints low enough that the kids can grab a marker and write their own message to each other.  I do hope that they will search for the fabulousness in each other.  Hopefully, they won't have to look too far but will come to appreciate the great gift they are to each other.  I hope they can learn to genuinely encourage each other and that that skill will go with them out into the world. I hope they will look for the good in others and be an encouragement to all they meet. 


Now, I do have one more of these prints framed.  I am looking for a perfect spot for it.  I do believe my husband needs one of these because he is pretty fabulous too!

No comments:

Post a Comment