Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Child Is Born


I enjoy this small piece of scripture  from Isaiah where some of the "names" of our savior are listed so much.  I am especially drawn to Wonderful Counselor and Prince of Peace this year as I continue to grieve the loss of my mother. 

 My mind has been a jumbled mess of past holiday memories.  It is strange how they come slowly like rain drops. 

A small memory of her sitting in her robe sipping coffee while my brother and I open presents. 
We are about 5 and 8.  DROP. 

The year she redid my bedroom for Christmas.  New comforter, new curtains and a new white wicker rocker.  I was about 11.  DROP. 

 The magical way she could fill a stocking till it almost bust but somehow held its contents tight.  DROP.  DROP.
  
 More recent Christmases where my children were the receivers of her gifts.  Last year she jumped right on the kids' new scooters and made a few trips around the driveway.   DROP. DROP. DROP.

Before I realize it the memories come fast and hard like a spring rain . . . . .
DROP. DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP. 
. . . . . from different years and times in my life. 
DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP.DROP.

They come so fast I cannot stop them and while it is nice to have the memories I always end up shaking them off.  I physically shake my head as if to say, enough!  It has now become too painful. This trip down memory lane is too much and I am ready for it to stop. 
For now. 
Not forever. 
No, I will travel there again tomorrow but for now I want my mind to rest. 
 I want to think of nothing of the past but rather soak in the present.  
I want to see the great light today and celebrate freedom from darkness that only Christ brings. 
Merry Christmas, friends. 
Do rejoice in the light, in the birth of Jesus. 


The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you
as people rejoice at the harvest. . . .

. . . . For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:2-3 & 9:6


No comments:

Post a Comment